District 2 is the cultural heart of Atlanta. Districts and areas such as Sweet Auburn, Little Five Points, 10th and Piedmont, Ponce De Leon Avenue, and Midtown Arts District are anchors of the cultural and historic fabric of the city. As District 2 and the city as a whole develops, it is important that we ensure that the cultural and historical legacies of our district are preserved and retold, as these elements provide the foundation of our uniqueness and vibrancy.
As your City Councilman, I will do the following:
- Advocate for the creation of cultural districts that would make it mandatory that new development pays homage to the culture and history of the area through the design of the development.
- Advocate for resources to be dedicated to creating gateway and branding elements within cultural districts. Change is inevitable, but we can ensure that the built environment reflects the history and cultural contributions of the area.
- Advocate for a city hosted, monthly orientation for new residents that would connect newcomers to resources within the city and introduce them to the history and culture of Atlanta and its communities.
- Advocate for resources to be dedicated to more frequent and diverse programming of public parks and plazas.
- *Advocate to increase resources for the Office of Cultural Affairs.